Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How Easy is it to Start Facebook?


I have started to learn about electronic mail and just recently, how to post a blog entry with just using my email. I found it cool and it limited by interaction with the internet to a minimum because of this auto-posting wonder. Dear son told me it's not just with Posterous because it's become an auto-post network with social networks. But still, I am amazed with this idea.

Now, dear daughter is the one assigned to teach me about Facebook. I would have wanted to decline at first. With prodding, and I know I may run out of excuses in the future, I relented. Facebook, the social network of the millennium they say, from which I learned a few pieces of information from children's discussions about the movie. Formerly known as The Facebook until first word was dropped by a venture capitalist. Which may be one right move, I think.

What I've learned so far:
1. Viewing my Home page. This is where I read the latest news called "news feed". I can post things here.
2. Viewing my Profile page. This is what's happening with me, my personal history. I can post things here too.
3. How to add friends. I just look at the right side. But I've limited this to avoid reading a lot (and I mean a lot) of news.
4. How to Like. I just look for the thumbs up icon, keep it simple and few. Again, to avoid update overload.
5. How to Search. Type anything on the search bar and press Enter.
6. What's on your mind? If I want to say something, then I just click Share.
7. What's on your mind part 2. I can add a photo (not for now), video (maybe never) and link. This last one, I'm forced to learn. So this must be important. Dear daughter says I can paste any web address here so it appears on my Profile page. Others can click on it and they are taken to that web page. Easy.
8. How to Tag. I just use the @ sign and type a few letters of a name or brand. If something else loads, I can choose from that list. It should turn blue. Sometimes I wait too long and I get bored.
 
When I read it now, the 8 things seem a lot. It took a few days though. Okay, weeks. But at least, I have a profile now. No pictures or videos though. I've scheduled that later. Much much later. Or maybe never?

photo from telegraph.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment